Wednesday 1 May 2013

You Have To Be THIS Skinny To Ride This Ride

Well! It's been a few weeks. A LONG few weeks. Between cakes (baking, not eating!), Dr appts, family visits, and two crazy kids, blogging was put on the back burner. But I'm still here. Still kickin' ass.

As of right now, I haven't dropped any more pounds, although I haven't gained either! I'm down quite a few more inches, and I feel amazing. Finally getting healthy was by far the best decision I ever made.

This past week I went away to visit family - I had an amazing time! I also hit up Canada's Wonderland, with no kids! (Huge thank you to my Nan, Aunts, and Uncle, for watching the kids) I haven't been to Wonderland in YEARS. Probably 5-6 years to be exact. I was very excited about the two new roller coasters - Bohemoth & Leviathan. Little did I know, they would disappoint me.

Now, I'm the type of person that puts on a brave face, but when it comes down to that moment where bravery is needed, I cower in the corner in the fedal position. Some of these rides are ridiculous - seriously, who invents these?! Getting strapped into a swing that slowly rises up a pole and spins you around and around. I felt like I was higher than the CN tower. I wouldn't actually know how high I was, since my eyes were practically glued shut. Horrible. One of those "Why the hell am I doing this!?" moments.

When it came time for the rollercoasters, however, I felt sick. Nauseous. Shaking. Sweat dripping down my face. No bravery here. Little did I know while waiting in the line, that I had nothing to worry about.

I didn't fit in the seat.


That's right, folks. I was TOO FAT for a ride a Canada's Wonderland.

Here's what happened:

I wait in line. In agony. Not sure why I decided to ride a ride that has an almost 90degree angle drop. Finally, it's our turn. I go to the seat, noticing right away that it's not very big. Sit in. Uncomfortable. My ass clearly doesn't have enough room. I'm squished. The lap restraint doesn't lock. The worker comes over and HEAVES (I mean pushes with ALL her friggen might) on the restraint ... 5-6 times, it finally gives a tiny "click". Uh, no. I do not feel safe whatsoever, especially after her little "Uh, ya. I think it locked. Ok good, you're ready to go." NO NO NO sweetheart, I'm not. Another worker comes along, looks at it, sighs, and says "I don't think this is gonna work out..." No worries, peeps. I really didn't wanna go on it anyway. So I take the good 'ole walk-of-shame, past a ton of people who just witnessed this, to stand at the exit and wait for my family to get off the ride. Embarassing? Yes. But also funny. I actually laughed - not sure why, but I did. Here I am thinking I'm doing this amazing job with eating healthy, working out ... and Canada's Wonderland comes along with a big ass needle, and pops that bubble! But instead of it making me depressed, or have me lose faith in myself, it amplified everything. (Side note: both rollercoasters had the same seats, so I didn't even bother waiting in line again!)

I CAN do this. I WILL do this. And when I do, I'll go back to Wonderland, stand in line, fit in that seat, and ride that damned ride!

All too often, moments like these happen. It IS depressing. It's embarassing. But it's also strengthening. I love who I am. I love how far I've come. And there's no way in hell I will ever be too big to ride a ride again.


Happy Hump Day!
Go be FABULOUS.


-xo-

16 comments:

  1. Hey Caitie! I'm Tiffany and I have a few questions for you.

    I'm going to CW this weekend and I'm TERRIFIED I won't fit :( So how big are you and stuffs?

    I'm 288 ish, 5 foot 3 inches and a size 24/26. All my weight is in my belly and boobs

    What ride was it that you didn't fit on? Behemoth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! TJ, I only just saw this comment!

    I'm 260, 5'4", roughly the same size as you!

    It was Bohemoth & Leviathan (they have the same bucket seats)

    My problem was my ass and legs ! It's unfortunate that these rides don't accommodate bigger people!

    I apologize for my late response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone.
    I was at Canada's Wonderland yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I'm 5'8" 280 lbs with most of my weight in my bum, belly and boobs.
    I was able to go on all the rides I wanted to which were:
    Sledgehammer
    Backlot Stunt Track
    The Fly
    The Guardian
    Flight Deck
    Vortex

    I didn't fit on the Time Warp as my bum comes out too much. :(
    And I'm not a super thrillseeker so I didn't attempt the bigger rides.
    Lots of others like Orbiter, Cyclone, Klockwerks and Windseeker are large friendly as well.
    The ones that are NOT large friendly are the woodies; Thunder Run, Minebuster and Wildebeest.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soo much for posting this!! In the midst of loosing some weight and would like to finally get back on some rides but was always to chicken every time we go to try.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 5 7 and at 232 right now and scared!! heaviest I've ever been going there and I'm going Monday. 41 inch waist like 50.5 inch hips. I don't know if I'll fit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm a few years late on this post but oh well. I'm heading off to wonderland in approximately 8 hours. I can't sleep because I'm terrified that I won't fit in the rides. Last year I almOst didn't fit on the leviathan and Behemoth. I got the small click and the "uh I think it's locked" (but I went ahead with the ride anyway). I've gained weight since then and now I'm horrified to go back. I know I won't fit in the half the rides and im not ready to be embarrassed by getting off before the ride starts. This post gave me just the right amount of hope that I need to know that I'm not alone and I don't need to be embarrassed. I going to have a fun time and no one can stop me! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi how was it? I just had a baby four months ago and since I was on bed rest the entire time I gained a lot of weight. I'm 195 pounds and 53 and my belly and butt are huge. Did you end up fitting? I'm going tomorrow and I'm so scared I go every year and fit every year so I'm nervous I wouldn't be able to fit on my favourite coasters this year.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. I just wanted to share my experience to possibly save someone anxiety or the embarrassment of being too big for a ride. So for reference I'm 5'7, 250 pounds. In torrid bottoms I'm a 18, and a 2x and my measurements are 51-41-50.

    The fist ride I went on was flight deck. When I got in, I was terrified I wouldn't fit because I could only get the overhead bar to go to the first click. The one worker came and heaved with all her might to get it to the second click, but it wouldn't, so another girl came and tried and again it wouldn't budge. I thought I would have to get off but she said it was fine and that they just wanted to click it a second time to make it tighter since at the first click it was slightly loose. I was terrified and in my mind was like, "am I really trusting a 16 year old canada's wonderland employee with my life?". The entire ride I gripped on with all my might incase the restraint some how came open. Although I fit and it closed and I'm still alive today, I did not feel safe and if someone has a huge chest like me (51inches or larger) I would avoid this ride. This scarred me from trying any rides with an overhead bar restraint to avoid any potential embarrassment or safety concerns. At this point I was worried that maybe I wouldn't be able to fit in most rides.

    The second ride I went on was the behemoth, these have bucket seats with a lap restraint. They also have a test seat. I tried the test seat and fit no problem. I also went on the leviathan later on which has the same seats both were not an issue at all except for being slightly uncomfortable for my thick thighs on the seat but it was totally fine.

    Other rides I went on were the minebuster (I fit but the seat was super uncomfortable I felt like I was squeezing my fat butt into it, but it was fine and the bar closed no problem). The thunder run (if you're larger you probably will have to sit by yourself or with a small child as it would be very squishy with another full sized adult (the bar closed with no issues), I also went on the carousel and the bumper cars (the seat belt goes across your chest and it was really digging into my large chest but was fine and the seat was very roomy).

    Basically if you have a large chest like myself, I would avoid any rides with an overhead restraint, if you have a similar waist and bottom measurement to me you will probably be fine to ride in rides with a lower body restraint system (all bodies are different though and I saw a woman who appeared to have a smaller lower half than me not able to fit on the behemoth). Don't be embarrassed to try to test seats, lots of people big and small test them and it's a lot less embarrassing to realize you dont fit there, than to get kicked off the ride. And you can go through the exit of rides that do not have test seats and ask to try a ride out for size before waiting in line (which is also less embarrassing than waiting and getting kicked off).

    If you do get kicked off, don't let it break your spirit, you're not alone it literally happens all the time, rides are designed to fit an average body type and clearly if you're reading this you are more than likely bigger than the average body type, so are millions of others.

    Hopefully this post helps someone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Currently at Canada's Wonderland and just did the fat walk of shame on the Windseeker.. Just for those in the future thinking this is a fat frienndly ride, it's not. I'm about 285 and am a size 22/24

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am 250 lbs size 20/22 and fit on everything (even the kids rides with my kids) except the windseeker. The Yukon has red belts for plus size riders. Canadian mine buster and Behemoth was tight , but I did fit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. im 5'4 and 250 and im going next week im so scared.

    ReplyDelete